MathFifth grade is a milestone year and a pivotal point for students. The classroom focus is on arithmetic during the elementary grades & will develop into a more formal study of algebra in middle school. To be ready for algebra, students must have an understanding of fractional arithmetic, in part because even simple equations cannot be solved without fractions. In fifth grade, multiplying and dividing fractions becomes a major focus.
Grade 5 Math Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Write and interpret numerical expressions. • Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Understand the place value system. • Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations—Fractions
• Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions. • Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data
• Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system. • Represent and interpret data. • Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
Geometry• Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematicalReminder:
- At the beginning of every Unit (Topic)- I will send home a topic introduction letter. This will tell you what concept we are working on and give you an activity you can do with your child. Please read and review any vocabulary/activity attached with it.
- We have math homework on a nightly basis- Usually a workbook page. This helps students practice to build progress towards mastering a concept.
** 5th graders should know all their multiplication facts**
- Please Check your son/daughter's planner on a daily basis